A financial plan is the roadmap for your financial future. When you take a trip, you need a good map so you know how to get where you want to go. The same is true of your finances. Whether your goal is to get out of debt, to balance your budget or to retire in style and comfort, without a plan all you have to rely on is good luck. People who are well prepared usually have better luck.
Financial planning helps you determine your short and long-term financial goals and create a balanced plan to meet those goals.
Here are nine powerful reasons why financial planning – with the help of an expert financial advisor – will get you where you want to be.
- Income:It’s possible to manage income more effectively through planning. Managing income helps you understand how much money you’ll need for tax payments, other monthly expenditures and savings.
- Cash Flow:Increase cash flows by carefully monitoring your spending patterns and expenses. Tax planning, prudent spending and careful budgeting will help you keep more of your hard earned cash.
- Capital:An increase in cash flow, can lead to an increase in capital. Allowing you to consider investments to improve your overall financial well-being.
- Family Security:Providing for your family’s financial security is an important part of the financial planning process. Having the proper insurance coverage and policies in place can provide peace of mind for you and your loved ones.
- Investment:A proper financial plan considers your personal circumstances, objectives and risk tolerance. It acts as a guide in helping choose the right types of investments to fit your needs, personality, and goals.
- Standard of Living:The savings created from good planning can prove beneficial in difficult times. For example, you can make sure there is enough insurance coverage to replace any lost income should a family bread winner become unable to work.
- Financial Understanding:Better financial understanding can be achieved when measurable financial goals are set, the effects of decisions understood, and results reviewed. Giving you a whole new approach to your budget and improving control over your financial lifestyle.
- Assets:A nice ‘cushion’ in the form of assets is desirable. But many assets come with liabilities attached. So, it becomes important to determine the real value of an asset. The knowledge of settling or cancelling the liabilities, comes with the understanding of your finances. The overall process helps build assets that don’t become a burden in the future.
- Savings:It used to be called saving for a rainy day. But sudden financial changes can still throw you off track. It is good to have some investments with high liquidity. These investments can be utilized in times of emergency or for educational purposes.
In order to learn in-depth about the financial planning process, sign up our e-learning module FinSmart.